Take a Break

TAKE A BREAK. Hey, our kid is pretty great. Run away with us for the summer lets go upstate. Eliza I've got so much on my plate... It's not uncommon for us to work ourselves down to the ground because we live in a world of productivity and completely, jam packed "to-do"lists. Even if we are brave enough to take a break, we often spend it focusing on what we "should" be doing, instead of actually giving our brains a rest. If you gain anything from my ramblings, please make it this one thing - take a break.


I know from experience that breaks are entirely necessary, and I'm chronically guilty of spending a break mentally preparing the work I've to do, and lamenting on how I'm missing out on precious moments that could make or break my grades. All it has ever done for me is grow the bundle of stress already building inside me.

The other day (Saturday, if you're ever so intrigued), I changed things up a bit. A few years ago a psychologist asked me to take one hour minimum a break each day. She told me I wasn't to spend it thinking about what I should or could be otherwise doing. 60 minutes, in which the topic of school/exams/stress/life were banished. The fact it's taken me so long to start working on that shows how naive I am. However, on this particular Saturday, I did just that.


Actually, I did more than that. I did a mere hour of work that morning. With a lot of coaxing from the mothership, I read some of my new books instead, walked our puppy, drank plenty of tea, and watched Harry Potter. The looming danger of mocks floated into my mind numerous times, but I consciously chose not to let it linger. They are just mocks. They won't kill me. Nothing is dependent on them; rather, they are a base foundation on which I can build and improve in my actual A2 exams.

Now, I don't mean to sound like the most studious person on the planet, because I'm far from it. I'm not productive a lot of the time. More so, it's that I constantly live in worry. Instead of living in the moment, enjoying the warmth of a hot cup of sugary tea, or truly indulging into fictional works, my mind is often elsewhere. It's not about spending more time being unproductive/not doing work, it's about allowing yourself to have a break.

Take a break. Breathe. It's good for you.

Take care.

Comments

Popular Posts