I Do Weird

I am a weird person, not normal, so to speak. But do I want to be? Not at all. Conforming to society is boring. Merely fitting in doesn't let you make your mark on the world. Originality is powerful. How are you going to make your mark?



I spent years trying to find who I am, and it most certainly didn't come to me in an epiphany or dream, nor is it complete. Rather, it's a constant process of growing - growing too tall for the dungarees you once loved but growing into collared shirts instead, growing too bright for such dull trends, growing out of instant coffee and favouring pure coffee beans brewed. (Disclaimer: I don't do coffee, and am a novice at coffee-ological terms. It's just a metaphor.)

It was far from an easy process. I've always felt alone, and in accepting myself, I only found more isolation. I fell into bad habits, with the ultimate aim of disappearing. I couldn't understand myself. And it was painful. Somehow, though, I'm still here, and the struggle aided my further creation.

Perhaps that's why I'm so protective over my identity - I didn't go through years of carving to have someone *copy* my being. And I mean that in the most mature way possible. Being a human is hard, that's undoubtable, but we all vary in our writing patterns, our phrasing, our style, and having someone edge beyond "similarity" into "indenticality" (if that's not a word then can someone make it one, please?), only makes it more difficult. We cling to our uniqueness and selves like a cosy blanket fort - recreating our cave feels like an invasion, fraud, violation.

Encouragement also plays a part. I admire original beings. My favourite thing is witnessing someone ignore all pressures and defy all taunts to follow their dreams whilst living up to their own aspirations. I appreciate quirkiness. There are so many people in the world, why waste yourself in creating a copy of another?

These feelings become ever more serious, and are particularly prevalent, in artists. As a writer specifically, I want to share my ideas and crazy book plots and character developments with those around me; I want to spread my enthusiasm and passion. But we live in a world of copyright and plagiarism. Not only do I have to filter what goes online, but I also have to hold back in person because even subconsciously, you may find your own ideas adapted and moulded by another. Having my work stolen is a huge fear of mine, and has happened on a few occasions before, only ever making me more protective of my identity, my style, and my creations.

Naturally, this does not solely apply to me because I doubt there are many people out there who are silly enough to try mimic me, and rather, it applies to every single person trying to mould themselves into someone they inspire. You be you. We already have one of them; the world needs one of you instead.

Take care

Comments

Popular Posts