Rain

Rain - a weather state that Northern Ireland is oh so used to. Often it's a hated and disliked time of year, when hair gets ruined, make-up runs, and feet squelch in wet socks and shoes. Although there are many negatives of rain, I'm certainly someone who loves a rainy day. Why? Good question...


I find rain peaceful. I appreciate the pitter patter sound of raindrops hitting against my window, and I know that this is a common trait as there are many "rain sound" playlists and apps which aid people to sleep and relax. Without rain, we wouldn't have this benefit, and many would still be suffering with sleepless nights and insomnia.

Rain is a perfect reason to layer up if you have to leave the comfy confines of your dry home. Personally I love to wear numerous layers; gloves, scarves, cardigans, extra socks - all included. What better condition than in rain to wear multiple extra layers? It keeps you warm, cosy, and (somewhat) dry.

Furthermore, as someone who, well, always looks a mess, I appreciate that rain creates a social bonding with few people being able to maintain their appearance when the weather is dull, and so we have a connection - none of us look our best. No judgements then, right?

Heat. Rain leaves us damp and cold. But with a great appreciation for the heat in our houses. What better feeling than to return home after being drenched in the rain, than to change into dry clothes (I suggest PJs) with the heating on and a steaming hot cup of tea? It's absolute bliss, and makes the soaking journey worth it.

Eventually it stops. This may seem contradictory to my love of rain, but it's a true metaphor from the natural world. Eventually, it stops. Rain cannot go on forever despite what we may believe with flood warnings and constant damp shoes. It's the same with problems in life too, they stop. A rainbow appears instead; a reward for your suffering. Regardless of how suffocating the dull rain and suffocating stresses are, they end. They create an appreciation for what we have and for this, I am grateful.

I am grateful for the world's rain and for my own personal rain, as without it, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the benefits in life that not everyone gets. I love rain, because of the rainbow that appears after.

Take care,


Comments

Popular Posts