Those Who Can't Do; Teach

I guarantee you've heard that famous line at least once before. I bet you know at least one person who has been told they're "too intelligent" to teach. I have no doubt that at some point, you've seen people under-appreciate teachers. But if we didn't have teachers, we would never be able to read, write, recite that mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, or even have opinions. In fact, teachers don't even necessarily mean those with a QTS or PCGE that stand at the front of a classroom and nag you about your homework. We're all teachers, and all those who can - teach.



I admire my teachers, well, the vast majority, at least. It was once believed that I would never be able to read or partake in mainstream education because of my ocular albinism, yet here I am, starting my final year of school in a matter of weeks. Largely, it was down to the teachers that encouraged me from the very start: the mothership; the teachers at school; my failings. Now, I want to be a special education teacher. Is it because I "can't do"? No.

Being a doctor never interested me. Being a businesswoman never interested me. Being something "greater" than a teacher never interested me. My main passion that I've always had in life, is working with children and young people who have special needs. Previously, I let the stigma of teaching get to me. I already have chronic self-doubt over being good enough, so how on earth would I cope with a job that is looked upon so negatively? Well, I don't need to.

Teaching as a profession requires immense capability. You must be able to co-ordinate a class, fit activities to match abilities, and instil an appetite for learning from a young age. To me, teachers are incredible - especially the few that make you passionate about the most seemingly boring topics. For instance, I despised biology until year 11 when I got a new bio teacher who made even transpiration interesting and fascinating. Isn't that an honourable power - to grow passion?


A great teacher inspires. That is my goal. I despise the current education system; it drains all passion and love for learning. It separates children based on their weaknesses, never on their strengths. It creates a hierarchy of who is "good" and who is "bad" - even those in P2/3 know the difference between the red reading group and the green reading group. That's a bit sickening, don't you think?

It takes a wonderful teacher to maintain a child's love for academic learning. It takes a supportive family to stop them being knocked down by the world. It takes a determined mind to stand back up again.

Before you took down on anyone considering teaching, remember that it is more than telling information and marking answers. It is more than sitting in a classroom. It is more than stamps and stickers. We need teachers. And we are all teachers, whilst simultaneous learners.

Take care,

Comments

Popular Posts