Yellow Paper Problems

Have you ever heard of a "first world problem"? If not, let me show you a prime example...



I tend to be quite a methodical and meticulous person, self confessed. I prefer things to be a certain way and rarely swerve away from my "norm". In fact, I find it uncomfortable to watch others complete tasks with a complete lack of organisation and no sense of direction in what they do. So, needless to say when I'm told I have to follow a different routine, it doesn't go down well.

As you are likely to know by now, I've recently started my first year of my A levels (AS) which differs greatly from GCSE's. At A level the work is a lot more independent and self motivated as opposed to the spoon feeding (some would say) at GCSE. Therefore, new steps of work are also in place. At my school, alongside homework, we're expected to complete "independent study". In theory, this is revision done throughout the school year rather than once the course is complete, but the tasks are noted and given to us in booklets set by the teachers. First problem; my natural work ethic means that I revise consistently throughout the school year anyway, without prompts given - the steps aren't necessarily ones I prefer to use. To make matters worse, my subject teachers expect this to be completed on yellow paper. Yellow?!

My notes have always been completed on white paper (preferably that from an Oxford notebook, or an Easons refill pad). Always. This may seem like a mild inconvenience to the vast majority of you, but to me - and a number of my classmates - it's an absolute abomination. To begin with, this paper isn't as common as your average file block. It costs more and is more difficult to find. I've been given a set of one hundred pages per subject... To last me an entire year? It's just not feasible.

Secondly, two out of the three sets I've been given aren't even hole punched?!/?1/.-???? Okay, okay, you might say, "Just buy a hole punch," but that's not the point. If I were to punch each page as I went along, they wouldn't align correctly which is just plain stressful.

My next issue is how difficult it is to tear each page out without ripping the edges! It results in messy corners and I can guarantee you that although I would be following teachers' instructions by using this stupid yellow paper, they would demand I repeat what I've done on account of the state of my page. Yep.

Why do we have to use it? That's a good question; no one really knows. Some have said that it's so the teacher can tell how much independent study we've completed as the yellow pages will stand out in our files against the white handouts and other written notes. Others were merely copying other subject departments.

I suppose I'll get over this minor issue in due time, but I thought I would open you up to a bit of the messiness and craziness that lies in the pit of my brain. How would you feel about working on yellow/differently coloured paper? Would you be distressed or amazed?

Keep smiling, and keep working (whether on yellow paper or other)!


Comments

Popular Posts